Friday, February 4, 2011

Settling in

The end of the second week of "work".  Getting more of a feel for the group.  The team is is working from four time zones, Sydney, South Africa, Scotland and DC.  There are two regularly scheduled calls each week to compare notes and discuss.  So while one team is eating breakfast, the other may be calling from home, putting their children to bed.  I am taking bridge lessons and Thursday night I ran home from my first lesson to join the call at 9:30 pm Sydney time.  Some of the team were on video conference and I was glad I could lie on the lounge (sofa) and listen to the discussion in the dark.

This group is working with multiple cultures, in multiple times zones, on multiple deals, in multiple countries and wanting to change the world.  They just might do it too.

In addition to bridge (no idea why I signed up but it was cheap $39 for four lessons plus practice sessions and convenient, right around the corner from the office),  I signed up for sailing lessons.  As I write this I am at a table on my balcony overlooking Double Bay with about 40 sail boats out this Friday evening.    I think I was a bit jealous of these sailors.   Also,  RJ took sailing lessons on his sabbatical so maybe he started a UE tradition.

I showed up for my lessons, just 3 blocks from the office, hoisted the sails and with my instructor, a young woman the age of my daughter, we headed out to the bay.  For the first time since arriving in Sydney there was no wind.  Nothing, nada.   We sat there for about 10 minutes and decided to drag the boat back in and try again another day.  Next lesson is Monday.   Which is also the day of the Super Bowl game.    I plan to join the American Australian club to watch the game Monday at 10 am.   They will serve hot dogs, bacon sandwiches, wedges and fries and beer.  I'll be sure to write after the event.    My brother-in-law asked me, since we are a day ahead, to tell him who wins the game to he can place bets on Sunday.   You gotta love him.

Thinking a lot about measuring the "impact" of the investments in micro-finance, micro-insurance and all of impact investing.   Been able to dig in and read dozens of academic articles on measuring the impact.  These are similar to the issues we face at UE,  how can we measure the impact of our risk management, the work that we do, and  that we are lowering our members' total cost of risk.    Thinking hard about this.

Weekend plans include a visit to a growers' market which show cases local food.  Yasi, the category 5 cyclone hit the banana growing region this week and bananas are expected to rise in price 5x.  But I am officially addicted to passion fruit, eating it every day, twice a day and will be interested to see what other local produce the market has.   Going out to Bronte beach for "tea" and a swim on Sunday and maybe a make up for my sailing lesson.

One UE staffer made me promise not to come back speaking like an Aussie.  So I won't end this the typical Aussie way of...Cheers  and    yes      go Steelers!

1 comment:

  1. Your brother-in-law appreciated the shout-out! Go Steelers!!!
    With all other strife going on in the world it is reassuring to know there are some very dedicated people of all ages working tirelessly to solve some of the key issues facing people all over the world related to insurance and protecting themselves and their property. I am so proud of the work you are doing to help in that process. Also pleased to see you are taking some time to engage in the true spirit of a sabbatical and that is to rest and try new adventures. Good for you. And did I say Go Steelers! KMP

    ReplyDelete