Saturday, February 26, 2011

Back on the road

Leaving for Manila Monday morning for the week.  A very full schedule, meeting with lots of insurance companies  and companies that could be involved in distributing micro insurance.  Meeting with the newly appointed Philippine ambassador to the US.  He also happens to be a Wharton alumnus, as is my traveling companion.  A mini Wharton reunion in Manila.  Not taking my laptop, one less thing to haul along, but I will try and do facebook postings from my Droid.  (again my sincere thanks to AJ who set up the Droid for my travels).

As I pack my suitcase, and anyone who knows me, knows that I am the most excellent packer, I realize I am itchy to travel.   Since arriving on January 22, this is the longest time I can remember when I have not been on a plane, living out of a suitcase.  But of course,  I AM LIVING OUT OF A SUITCASE, I  have to remind myself.  Actually 2 suitcases and a carry on, but still.   I am anxious to learn more about the market and demand for micro insurance in the Philippines, the structures that already exist and what needs to be built and generally to get to know the culture.  The LeapFrog team has great relations in the country and I'm armed with a lot of background material for building the base of a program.

Had my last sailing lesson and bridge lesson this week.  Now I need to practice, practice some more and then practice a bit more.  I'm all thumbs in sailing and  there are long pauses as I add, count and struggle to remember things in bridge.  My sailing course allows unlimited times on the water if they have an empty seat on the J24 boats that go out and there are also discounted practice sessions at bridge.  I may consider buying a bridge software package to play as well.

Went to the zoo, see the pictures on Facebook, had breakfast with a friend from AFS and wandered around the Rocks, the old, original part of Sydney and in the evening went to the Olympic Park to see a Rugby game on Saturday.    The Rocks has nice markets, a few winding streets and little pubs to explore.  Reading David Hill's book 1788, about the First Fleet.  Finished GOLD, by the same author on Australia's gold rush.  I didn't know that England was using the American colonies as a dumping ground for convicts but was forced to end that practice when the US declared our independence.  The British searched about for another dumping ground, Africa was one, but they finally settled on New South Wales,  (Sydney).  

Before I left, JS and I were laughing that I might miss my two incredibly ugly but lovable dogs more than anything.    I do miss them but I really miss my husband.  It is so nice to be married for almost 29 years and still miss and love him so much.    Thanks goodness for the free calls from gmail to any land or cell phone in the US and of course skype as well.   The calls help but I miss his friendship and our long discussions on the state of the world.  

The harbor is calm tonight and there is almost no wind so most sail boats have packed it in.  A quiet Sunday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment