Sunday, January 23, 2011

The begining

Monday afternoon in Sydney.  Still Sunday back home.  I know this because I checked in on the Steeler game.  Friday was finishing odds and ends.  A nice lunch and a very sweet send off orchestrated by J.  Fosters to celebrate my new digs (hope no one noticed) final words with R and putting voicemails and out of office on.  Took the bus home, finished packing and made the official Abraham send off meal of pasta carbonara.  Used whole wheat pasta which didn't go over too well with K.  

Incredibly long flight.  Had forgotten to replenish my supply of Tylenol and had to beg some off a nice couple behind me.  Although I worried whether I had the right visa, and would customs and quarantine give me a hard time about my Calcium pills and prescriptions,  I sailed through.   Australia is fanatical about keeping fruit, seeds, animal skins just about everything out of the country.  

Apartment has a beautiful view over looking harbor.  Watching sailboats and ferries as I write.  Cloudy but warm.  After freezing DC, I have all the windows open and ceiling fans going.  Actually hooked up wireless by myself.   Didn't have to call W, K or A!!!!  

Walked to the market, bought some healthy but heavy groceries so taxied back.  Australian butter, yogurt, olive oil, fruit and veggies.  I passed on the oranges from USA but picked up some lychees.   Ordered a pound of ground coffee and left with 200 g.  Gotta work on the temps and weights.

Although I slept for a few hours on the flight, I'll try and stay awake until later tonight and get on Sydney time.   

3 comments:

  1. Pretty sweet start, Janice. I will follow this with interest. Blessings on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on a good start. Will be following with interest. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking about you this weekend as I saw the Steelers make their way! Envisioning you in a hut somewhere, I wasn't sure how good the reception was going to be. HaHa.

    Connecting to your blog is a first for me - big step- so bear with me.

    I, like Vince, look forward to following your journey. We'll miss seeing you at the BAC.

    ReplyDelete